CHEVY CAR WONT TURN OVER

1995 Chevrolet Lumina

1995 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

form the last 3 years i've been driving my car with the key broke off in the iginition cylinder with in the last 2 to 3 months I notice I could start the car without putting the restior back in the ignition so I let it go but my brake lights stop working cause of a bad multi fuction switch in the column so I go and take apart the column I get to the iginition I figure I mind as well just replace the ignition so I unscewed the set screw from the cylinder and I pulled it out half way and notice that one of the wires going to the cylinder is bare that the insulation peeled off of it so I put slide it back in and it still starts the car so when I removed it again the wire broke tried putting it back in to start the car now it wont turn over so I go get a new ignition from the dealer, get new key made with the pellet properties same as my old key and the car still wont start. Now the column is back together but I remember when I went to put the set screw in for the ignition there was a white square plug of a type at the end of the cylinder that had two prongs coming out of it that look like the had to touch each other and the was a tab on the other side of it which covered the setscrew I might have pulled that up and out a little bit but im unsure what its for and I did test the resistors in my new key and my old key and the ohm's match and tested the ignition cylinder while trying to start it and the ohm, s stayed the same. If you can give me some advice I will be more than glad to make a donation
Jgranville24

Have you done a relearn on the pass-key?
GM PASS LOCK RELEARN- Ignition to " run" position, try to start and let key return to " run" position
Approx ten minutes security light will go off
Turn key " off" and wait 5 seconds
Repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 relearns.
Turn key off, then start it

Merlin2021
I was told a similar method by a mechanic I know which was to try to start it leave it in the run position for an hour, then try to start every ten seconds and that did nothing. And when I put the key in the ignition the security light turns off when within ten seconds andit stillwont start then just for gigles I tried the blank key that came with the ignition and the security light will keep blinking so im assuming that the theft deterrent is working but I will try what you told me tomorrow if any thing I said will give you any idea's I would really appreciate it

Jgranville24
According to your PM you can start the car by crossing the soenoid at the starter? Could be the starter needs to be replaced or if no power gets to the wire at the starter in crank possition, the relay in the power distribution center under the hood fuse block needs to be tested.
http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_do_i_check_a_relay.htm
CRANKING TEST Slower Or No Crank Only After Extended Periods Of Vehicle Non-Use There may be a parasitic load on electrical system. See the PARASITIC LOAD EXPLANATION & TEST PROCEDURES article in the GENERAL INFORMATION section. Engine Does Not Crank, Starter Solenoid Does Not Click 1. Place gear selector in Park position. Turn ignition switch to START position. Using DVOM, measure voltage between starter solenoid terminal "S" (Purple wire) and ground. See Fig. 2 . Also, refer to WIRING DIAGRAM . If voltage is greater than 9.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 9.5 volts, go to step 3). 2. Connect a remote starter switch between starter solenoid terminal "S" (Purple wire) and battery positive terminal. If starter cranks, check for high resistance or poor connection between ignition switch and starter solenoid. If starter does not crank, replace starter solenoid. 3. Turn ignition switch to START position. Locate Black 48-pin connector behind left side of instrument panel, below steering column. Using DVOM, backprobe 48-pin connector terminal B6 (Yellow wire) to ground and measure voltage. If voltage is less than 9.5 volts, go to step 5). If voltage is greater than 9.5 volts, go to next step. 4. Using DVOM, backprobe 48-pin connector terminal D5 (Red wire) to ground and measure voltage. If voltage is less than 9.5 volts, check Red wire circuit between Black 48-pin connector terminal D5 and 40-amp IGN SW1 maxifuse, located in underhood electrical center No. 2, for an open. Check 40-amp IGN SW1 maxifuse for an open. If voltage is greater than 9.5 volts, check Black 48-pin connector for poor connection. If connection is okay, replace ignition switch. 5. Disconnect theft deterrent relay connector. Turn ignition switch to START position. Using DVOM, measure voltage between theft deterrent relay connector terminal A2 (Yellow wire) and ground. If voltage is greater than 9.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 9.5 volts, repair open in Yellow wire between ignition switch and theft deterrent relay. 6. Connect test light between theft deterrent relay connector terminal C2 (Yellow wire) and ground. Turn ignition switch to START position and observe test light. If test light does not illuminate, go to step 9). If test light illuminates, go to next step. NOTE: The following tests assume that engine and battery are operating normally and that there are no engine problems that would cause a no start condition. NOTE: Anti-Theft systems interact with cranking system through a starter enable relay or theft deterrent relay. On models with Anti-Theft system, ensure both systems and related controls are operating properly. See the ANTI- THEFT SYSTEM article in the ACCESSORIES/SAFETY EQUIPMENT section. On models with Anti-Theft system, an unauthorized entry will cancel starter enable operation. On all models, ensure no diagnostic trouble codes are present. Page 1 of 2 STARTER -1995 Chevrolet Lumina 7. Connect test light between theft deterrent relay connector A1 (Yellow/Black wire) and battery positive terminal. Turn ignition switch to START position and observe test light. If test light does not illuminate, go to next step. If test light illuminates, check theft deterrent relay for poor connections. If connections are okay, replace theft deterrent relay. 8. Check Yellow/Black wire circuit between theft deterrent relay and theft deterrent module for an open or short to battery voltage. Check theft deterrent relay and theft deterrent module for poor connections. If Yellow/Black wire circuit and connections are okay, replace theft deterrent module. 9. Disconnect park/neutral position switch connector (3T40), or transaxle range switch connector (4T60-E). On both models, connect test light between Purple wire terminal of switch connector and ground. Turn ignition switch to START position and observe test light. If test light does not illuminate, go to next step. If test light illuminates, check Yellow wire circuit between switch connector and theft deterrent relay for an open or high resistance. If Yellow wire circuit is okay, adjust or replace switch. 10. Connect test light between 5-amp fuse No. 11 connector terminal B7 (Yellow wire), located in fuse block, and ground. Turn ignition switch to START position and observe test light. If test light illuminates, go to next step. If test light does not illuminate, repair open in Yellow wire circuit between 5-amp fuse No. 11 and splice. 11. Check Black 36-pin connector located in right side of engine compartment, near strut tower for poor connection. If connection is okay, repair open in Purple wire circuit between 5-amp fuse No. 11 and park/neutral position switch connector (3T40), or transaxle range switch connector (4T60- E), or repair open in 5-amp fuse No. 11. Solenoid Clicks, Engine Does Not Crank 1. Place gear selector in Park position. Turn ignition switch to START position. Using DVOM, measure voltage between battery positive terminal and starter solenoid terminal "B" (Black wire). See Fig. 2 . See WIRING DIAGRAM. If voltage is greater than 0.5 volt, replace battery positive cable. If voltage is less than 0.5 volt, go to next step. 2. Turn ignition switch to START position. Locate battery negative terminal ground. Using DVOM, measure voltage between battery negative terminal and battery negative terminal ground connection. If voltage is greater than 0.5 volt, replace negative battery cable. If voltage is less than 0.5 volt, go to next step. 3. Connect a remote starter switch between starter solenoid terminal "S" (Purple wire) and battery positive terminal. If starter cranks, check for high resistance or poor connection between ignition switch and starter solenoid. If starter does not crank, replace starter assembly.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Lumina_Start__Circuit_1.jpg

Merlin2021