CHEVY BROKEN IGNITION KEY INSIDE THE IGNITION K

1994 Chevrolet Lumina

Steering problem
1994 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 300000 miles

Unable to turn the ignition either way and the position of the broken piece is not line up with the lock position.

Remove the steering wheel, removed up to the SIR coil after that under this there is a slotted disc with a spring locking bolt, I believe it is the steering lock mechanism, my question is how to remove this locking plate assembly? I am attempting to remove the sylinder and replace it with a new one.

Any suggestion will be great.

Tian.
Tianboon

The shaft lock is spring loaded, I can usually press down hard enough with my hand to access the retaining ring, Then use flat bladed screwdriver or something to work the retaining ring up out of the groove and off the end of the shaft. Because the retaining ring is split, you can work one side at at time. If you can't push shaft lock down far enough, they make a tool for that.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_lumina_steering_column_assembly_1.jpg

Thanks for the diagram, it seems my configuration is slightly different, on the diagram number 4 is a wave washer and number 6 is a retaining ring and mine is the other way around, the retaining ring is on number 4 and the wave washer is on number 6 and the " shaft lock" is solid it doesn't move, perhaps I ought to use a small puller?

Tianboon
I don't know, guess I'd have to look at it, the diagram is what my database showed? I'll look again.