Z34 "ABS LIGHT ON"

1993 Chevrolet Lumina

To: The two mechanics Bob and Ken

PROBLEM: ABS light comes on at 4 mph and stays on until key is turned off. Does not blink or anything else, just comes on and stays that way.

CARS MAKE & MODEL
The car is a 1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
Auto Trans : 4 speed
3.4 ltr. Dohc engine
2 wheel drive no strange sounds
No leaks
Unknown repair history

I bought the car two years ago from a man who is the manager of an auto repair shop.
The car had 86000 miles when I bought it.
It was and still is in garage kept condition and the AC works great.
The car is in beautiful condition and I love it and keep it in the garage.
It passed NJ state inspection without problem.(2 years ago when bought with 86k miles on it )
I drove it sparingly over 2 years and had no problems with it and did not have to put any money out except for gas the only thing was I never felt or thought that the ABS brakes worked.
After 2 years it went through NJ state inspection fine once more.( ABS light still not on yet)
By this time, 2 years since I bought the car it now has 4 thousand more miles than when I bought it.
I always thought that some how the ABS brakes were disconnected.
Now with 90000 miles on it the ABS light comes on as soon as it gets to about 4 mph and then stays on until I turn the key off and start again and then it does the same thing.
I took the right front wheel off and checked the pads and pushed and pulled at all the front brake parts.
When I put the wheel back on and went for test drive I thought I got lucky, the ABS light did not come on as it did before but less than a mile down the road it came back on.
I thought that the wire to the sensor might be broken or shorting so I moved it around carefully but with no success. The light still came on. I can see a small area of bare wire at the sensor plug.
I still have to take the wheel off again and make sure the wire to the sensor is not broken.
Is there any way that the previous owner new some way to reset the ABS light to go off and then maybe it took 4 thousand miles for it to come back on, just long enough to sell the car to me.
I have never owned a car with ABS brakes but have driven them and have been a passenger and I could always hear or see signs of ABS brakes either in the pedal movement or the sound from under the dash.
I would just as soon disconnect the ABS if possible and safe?
I would love to fix the problem and have ABS brakes but on a car this old I am not inclined to put a lot of money into it if I have any other alternative.
Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do about this ABS light staying on?
Is there a way to reset the ABS light?
Is there any way to disconnect the ABS brakes for good?
And last but not least would it go through NJ state inspection with ABS light on?
(I would think not)
I sure would appreciate any help you could shed on this ABS light problem which seems to be some what common as well as quite expensive.
Tank you Bob and Ken

Richard Reeshb01

reeshb01@Yahoo. Com
Reeshb01