CHEVY IDLE ISSUES

1992 Chevrolet Lumina

1992 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 134000 miles

On my 92 lumina 3.4 I have had high idle problems and have replaced several things (map sensor, iac valve, idle control sensor) and still not fixed I see in another question you mention idle control motor what is that? I have never even heard of that Thanks Terry
Terrystevens

Too fast an idle speed. If an engine without computerized idle speed control is idling too fast and refuses to come down to a normal idle speed despite your best efforts to back off the carburetor idle speed screw or air bypass adjustment screw (fuel injection), air is getting past the throttle somewhere. Common leak paths include the carburetor and throttle body gaskets, carburetor insulator spacers, intake manifold gaskets, and of course, any of the engine's vacuum fittings, hoses and accessories. It is even possible that leaky O-rings around the fuel injectors are allowing air to leak past the seals. Another overlooked item can be a worn throttle shaft and a defective idle speed speed control motor/valve stuck in the extended (high idle speed) position/throttle position sensor. Also the throttle plate could be binding in its bore and kinked accelerator cable, coolant temperature sensor might not be operating properly misleading the computer that the engine is still cold and computer throwing fuel at it raising the idle speed.