OIL PAN PROBLEM: HONDA ACCORD LXI

1988 Chevrolet Impala

Hi, my name is Heather and I have a problem with my Honda. I went to go get a routine oil change at a local Tuffy Auto, and they came to me and told me I needed a brand new oil pan because my drain plug was stripped. Since then I have not drove my car anywhere, and slowly but surely, I see the oil leaking out of my car. : Cry:

So, I called up another local Tuffy and ask them an estimate of how much it would cost. I told them to check the juckyards before considering a new pan. With my luck no juckyards had my pan and the guy told me my told would over $800, with labor. Also, I asked him how much is the pan itself. He told me $400 and change. I found one for $164.19. : Shock:

Q: Is this a resonable about for an oil pan replacement?

Q: How can I replace this oil pan myself, if I order the pan?

I hope this can be solved without burning a hole in my pocket. ?
Heatherr

It's very easy to change the oil pan but there are lots of bolts (Screw) to remove if you decide to change it, drain the oil first.

1 more thing when you remove the oil pan it's a good ideal to put a new oil pan gasket on.

Phatintegra
In lieu of replacing the oil-pan, you may be able to re-thread the drain fitting and use a different size drain plug. Because you don't want to get any metal filings into the oil-pan, it's best to drain the oil, then remove the oil-pan, then using a re-threading tool, cut new threads into the oil-pan opening. These new threads must be the same size as the new replacement plug. You will need to purchase a new oil-pan gasket. This approach may be a little more time consuming, but will be cheaper in the long run.

Fbarr60