CHEVY WILL NOT START AFTER ADDING GAS

2006 Chevrolet Impala

2006 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

My 2006 Impala drives great. It starts great. It has never given me trouble. Until about 5 months ago. The engine light came on and I had it checked. The guy said it was my gas cap. He cleared it. It came on again. He cleared it again the next week. It came on again.I finally bought another gas cap. The light came back on.
I had a new battery put in (for the first time) about two months ago. All is well. Until.
Everytime I stop and get gas, the car will never start the first time. It tries to start, and then I have to stop and re-start. It always starts on the second try. When cranking the car at any other time, hot / cold weather, it always starts like a new car. But I can go get gas in the next hour, and the car will not start on the first start. ONLY WHEN I GO TO THE GAS STATION. I've tried to get gas when it's almost empty, when it's half empty, and even when it only needs a few dollars. Each time at the gas station, it will not start.
The only thing I have not tried is to take the gas cap off in my driveway, and then try to start the car. I will try this tomorrow. My thought is each time I remove the gas cap, it does something to cause the car to not start the first time.
What can possibly cause this strange happening? Have you ever heard of this before?

Sincerely,
Tday1957
= = =
Tday1957

Your gas cap may be bad but if you have never changed the fuel filter then change it it may make a difference. Also when tightening the gas cap make sure to hear it click three times. That will prevent the light from going on. YOu have to do this after getting gas. You may be getting a vent problem as well so look under the car at the small hose that leads to the filler neck and make sure it's not pinched. But this may be your fuel filter