CHEVY TRANSMISSION SERVICE

2004 Chevrolet Impala

2004 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

I am a self maintainer of my auto's since I got my first car. I bought a haynes repair manual for my car. It shows that I have a transmission filter. I want to change the filter (and pan gasket) and the fluid. I asked a service professional at a commercial shop about using a machine to pump out all the tranny fluid. I asked him about the filter, and he said that I did not have a filter nor do I have a gasket, but instead I have a screen. My question is: Do I have a transmission fluid filter and pan gasket? How much fluid is drained by changing the fluid by removing the pan? Is it better to have all the fluid pumped out? 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8L

Thank You,
Dan
Dan02338

Hi: As far as removing all of the fluid from the trans, many places offer a power flush. They actually hook a machine to the trans cooling lines and while the old fluid is pumping to the machine, new fluid is being replaced. I do recommend this if it is done at regular mileage intervals. However, if you're past due, replacing the filter is a better idea.

If you only do a pan service (and only loose the fluid from the pan), start with around 3 quarts and go from there. Remember, the level is checked when at operating temp.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Positive feedback is appreciated.