CHEVY OVERHEATING!!

2003 Chevrolet Impala

Engine Cooling problem
2003 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

My car has been overheating for about a month. It'll be fine then all of sudden jumps up and says " HOT COOLANT TEMP". Then after a couple minutes or so it'll go back down. I've changed the thermostat, the timing cover gasket and the bypass hose (which had two tiny holes in it) and its fine for awhile and then right back to overheating. And I would open the cap and usually run it until all the air/air bubbles would stop and then put cap back on. Well now all I get out of the filler tube is steam and it was the temp gauge won't come down off of " HOT COOLANT TEMP". What else could I be missing?
Elvised77

Most common problems with vehicles overheating is 1 the thermastat, 2 a clogged system, try draining the coolant out of the vehicle saving it in a container, then back flush the radiator and engine with water using a hose. Make sure the engine is cool when you do it. If that does not work then do a compression check on the engine to check if there is other problems.

M_H_RITZEL
Well when I had the timing cover gasket replaced and the bypass hose. They did all that already. So i'm still at square one of why it still jumps to " HOT COOLANT TEMP" and now won't come back down. What else could it be? Somebody told me the water pump. Could that cause it or no?

Elvised77
With the temp going up then suddenly going down I would check the thermastat. Try removing it and see what happens. If the vehicle temp stays constant then the problem is in the thermastat. I have seen where a new new parts come defective right out of the box. If you were loosing coolant it would be a diferent story. I have a feeling thermastat is sticking since the system was flushed.

M_H_RITZEL
And lets say I take out the thermostat and its not it. The thermostat is fine. What could cause it to continuously overheat and stay overheat causing the car to sputter and stop running and or just have steam or smoke vapors come out of the radiator filler cap. And when adding more Dexcol it just spits it out vigarously?

Elvised77
Ok, you say its not the thermastat and the system was flushed, then what else could it be? With your first post you mentioned that the temp would go up and down. That is a sign of the thermastat going bad or a clog in the system. In your last post you say the car has run to where it has overheated that bad where it sputters and the engine stops then I would look at having a compression. Then I would definatly have a pressure check on the coolant system along with having a compresssion check done on each cylinder. It may have overheated so bad it could have caused a blown head gasket or had cracked the block.

Check out the trouble shooting section in that section #4 talks about the engine running hot.

M_H_RITZEL