CHEVY HIGH IDLE, COOLING FAN, TEMP GUAGE PROBLE

2001 Chevrolet Impala

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

I am experiencing a series of problems with my Impala and am wondering if they are connected. The gas guage stays mostly on full, sometimes on empty and occasionally seems to register the correct fuel level. The engine started not cranking. No clicking as in a low battery, more like in the ignition switch. If I wait a few seconds or minutes it will eventually crank. Sometimes when I open the door the overhead light won't come on and will not turn on with the light switch. Generally will come on after a minute or two. The cooling fans have at times run for a few minutes after the car is turned off, even in cold weather when the temp guage shows a normal temperature. The above problems are in order of occurence, they did not happen at the same time and some of them are not happening with the frequency that they once were. For instance the starting problem hardly ever occurs anymore though at one time it was occurring about 30 percent of the time I attempted to start the car. The most current problem which seems to be getting worse is the cars idle. It is racing. The engine rpm will pick up on its own, it sounds like above 2000 or more rpm's and will sometimes settle down on it's own. The car seems prone to overheating or running hotter than normal during this period. If the rpm is behaving normally the car will not overheat. I had a mechanic at a dealer tell me that is sounded like it could be a ground problem and I checked the battery ground and the grounds running to the right and left fender wells and those were ok. Any ideas?
Stryman

Engine RPM could be a vacuum leak or intake gasket. As for the electrical, did you have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes. With all them I would possible suspect the body control module.

Rhall77