CHEVY SHIFTING ROUGH AND BUCKING IN STOP AND GO

2000 Chevrolet Impala

2000 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 128000 miles

I have a 2000 Chevy Impala that has been my standard to and from car for 3 years. I bought the vehicle used with 50k miles on it in 2005 and since then added almost 80k on my own in 3 years.

For about 2 years on and off I have had a problem with my vehicle in stop and go traffic. It seems to shift very funky after being in stop and go traffic for more than 30 minutes. It will shift very hard out of 1st gear into second, 2nd into 3rd and so on. It also down shift very hard as well. Some times it will even buck back and forth while trying to shift and down shift. When this happens my only choice is to pull over and turn the vehicle off for 10minutes, which seems to correct the issue.

Last weekend I had this problem happen to me again and I had to pull over. When I did pull over I noticed that radiator house were very swollen with pressure and I 1/4 turned the radiator cap which released the pressure and filled my over flow tank. After doing this I got back and started driving with no problems.

I am wondering if this an actual transmission problem or an eletrical problem with the on board computer? I dont know understand how turning off the car for 10minutes would correct a transmission issue?

Thanks.
Cronanan