CHEVY FUEL PUMP RELAY

2000 Chevrolet Impala

2000 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

I have 2000 Chevrolet Impala LS. The gas gauge has not worked correctly for about 1 month. It goes up and down sporatically. When I fill the gas tank to 1/2 the needle sometimes goes all the way to the top and sometime to the very bottom until it finally settles were it actually needs to be at. I have to use my tripometer to monitor the gas. I ran out of gas a few days ago and now my car does not want to start. I had the fuel pump relay (underneath the hood) replaced and the car still does not want to start. It sounds like wants turn on, however, it does not. There is no sound sound from the fuel pump relay when the car is in the " on" position. Could this mean a very expensive repair is needed with having the fuel pump replaced inside the gasoline tank? Do you have any other solutions before I have the fuel pump itself replaced? Thank You~
Rorie00Impala

Fuel pump could be fried-power the gray wire at the fuel pump connector, from the battery and see what happens