CHEVY SECONDARY LATCH PROBLEM ON SPARE TIRE HO

2003 Chevrolet Express

Tires and Wheels problem
2003 Chevy Express V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

I am unable to get the " bracket" (that normally holds the spare tire up), to come down with the cable. Scenario: 1 month ago I had a flat. I lowered the suspended spare tire (easily came down by turning the tool that inserts just above the rear bumper), and then using the tool, tightened the cable and bracket so that it was not swinging around under there. But now that I want to put the spare tire back under the vehicle, and I use the tool to uwind the cable, the cable comes down, but the bracket only lowers a tiny bit, then holds fast. How can I get the entire thing to lower so that I can put the spare tire back under the van? Thank you!
Jimlutz54

Are you pulling it? Or adding wieght? It may be tangled inside the mechanism.

Merlin2021
I lay underneath and practically hang on the bracket while someone uses the tool to try to lower the bracket. The cable (that passes through the bracket) comes down fine, so that is not tangled, it is the bracket that is stuck.
The bracket is what passes through the center of the rim, and holds the wheel up, so I cannot suspend the tire without getting the bracket down first (the bracket needs to be turned at an angle in order to get it through the center of the rim.)
Thanks.

Jimlutz54
Use a hammer and tap on it to break the rust and it should come loose.

Merlin2021
I don't think that will do it. Apparently, there is a " secondary latch" system (mentioned in the manual), that serves as a backup in the case that the cable breaks (so the tire doesn't come crashing down). So, the bracket that is stuck is part of this secondary latch system. The bracket actually swings freely, it just won't come down.
The manual does mention of using the van jack to push up on the bracket to " release" this secondary latch in the case that it locks up. However, it then states that if I do this, I will need to take the vehicle in for service to have the latch " fixed". This is what I am trying to avoid. Any ideas?

Jimlutz54
If the cable isn't damaged, don't worry about damaging the secondary latch.

Dennyp