CHEVY OVERHEATING

2006 Chevrolet Equinox

2006 Chevy Equinox 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 64,000 miles

My car started to overheat, my a/c was running warm and I went and got the anit freeze replaced. Now my car is still overheating, I don't think I can hear the fan, heard it could be the thermostat
Shooks

I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox LS AWD it has 37000 miles on it. Mine was doing the same thing My thermostat was ok it turned out to be an inexpensive sensor to replace. The sensor is your Engine Coolant Temperature sensor and it tells your PCM how warm the engine is running. This sensor will turn the cooling fans on bit it also tells the PCM import info as to how much fuel to put into the engine so have you had increased fuel consumption as I did then it is this sensor. The sensor is located on the right side of the engine near the exhaudt pipe. You just rememove the the black plastic engine cover and you will see it screwed into the side of the engine. With the engine cold remove the electric wire and start your car the fans should kick on automatically. The cost to replace this on your own about $25 if you take it to a shop around $300. I am not a mechanic but I replaced mine with no trouble. When you replace it you need to open the radiator cap where you fill the flui and then on the drivers side ther eis on the underneathe a drain for the radiator place a 4 gallon buckt and drain about half of the bucket and then close the drain. Now you can remove and relaplace your sensor. Once you do that refill the the fluid to the cold line and leave the radiator cap off and start your engine with the defroster on high and you will " burp" the system of the air trapped inside the engine. This could take a few hours but it isnt hard. As the coolant level falls below the cold fill line add coolant to bring it back up to that line. Once you have done this in its entirely the coolant should move freely and your fans should come on as well. If after this your engine is still running too hot then let the engine cool and then start it put your hand on the radiator hose near where the sensor is and it should be cold and warm up as the engines warms if it doesnt then the thermostat is stuck closed replace it as well. However if the thermostat is ok and it still overheats then take it to a shop you may have a leaking or blown head gasket or worse a cracked head

Enabritton