CLIMATE CONTROL ONLY BLOWS THRU HEATER AND DEFROST - NO VENT

Chevrolet Corvette

1996 LT-4 w/6sp with 23,000 mi. Has digital climate control and valves for changing air flow don't respond when buttons are pressed. The heater blows hot and the air conditioning blows cold and the auto fan works as it is supposed to.

The problem is that air always comes out of the floor vent and the defroster vent at the same time. The control buttons don't redirect the air flow.

Is this vacuum operated or electrical? Is there a troubleshooting list for me to check?
Gregwarner

Best guess. The system is both electrial and vaccum.
A long the way you programed the climate controll system to these setting. You have set codes into computer. You need to refere to the owners manuel. If you do not have a manuel. Remove the fuse from the fuse panel. Turn the car on but do not start it. Pull the fuse. Turn the car off. Reinstall the fuse. And start the car. Should reinstate the factory codes. Good Luck.

Straight ahead
You are having a very common problem with your Corvette. The vacuum controller is on the driver's side, on the back side of the fire wall about as far as you can reach under the dash. It is a real treat getting to it. The problem is that the soft rubber nipples on the controller that the vacum lines connect to are collapsing under vacuum. The controller needs to be removed to repair it. The nipples need to be cut off about 1/2 way down with a razor blade. It is best to remove the driver's seat to get to it. The '95 and '96 models suffer from this problem. Go to The Corvette Forum to get more answers on Vettes.

My 2 cents,

GWH

GWH