CHEVY IGNITION

1972 Chevrolet Corvette

1972 Chevy Corvette V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

My 72 350/auto has got me baffled. I put a voltmeter on the ignition side of the coil with the key in the " on" position and got a reading of about 6.5 volts. Turning the ignition to " run" shows about 12v and starts the car, all OK so far it seems. But when the key returns to the " run" position, the voltage stays around 12v. Shouldn't this go back to 6.5v? The ignition wire (switch to coil) seemed very warm, almost hot, so I changed the ignition switch, no change. Any ideas?
Howier72

Check the resistance wire. How many wires do you see on the positive terminal of the coil and also at the starter motor solenoid? If you have two small terminal at the starter motor one is use for the ignition bypass -the purpose for it is to apply full battery voltage to coil during cranking once the engine starts the resistance wire takes over the power for the coil from the ignition switch-