TEMPERATURE GAUGE

Chevrolet Corsica

I have a 1995 Corsica, 6 cyl.59000 mileslllll
for the last month and a half my temperature guage has been going past the 3/4 mark. Had a pressure test done and was told there was not problem. The temperature gauge finally went all of the way over so I turned off the engine and let it sit for a while and it seemed fine. Finally had the thermostate replaced because I was told it was sticking. The system has been flushed and checked again and yesterday the guage went all of the way over and I had to turn the engine off again. After it cooled I drive it and it seemed fine. What would cause the termperature gauge show the car was about to overheat and then it is fine?
Thank you
Lovemycorsica

It could be a few things that are causing the car to overheat. Since you have no leaks or other symptoms and have change the thermostat already it would lead me to believe that the electric fan is not kicking on when it is suppose to or no coming on at all. The fan may not operate for sereval reasons such as a blown fuse, bad fan motor, defective/open wiring to the fan, or a defect coolant temperature sensor. The temp sensor turns the fan on and off automatically, as needed to the temperature change of the engine. With the car running and hot is the fan kicking on? If not then there is your problem. If it operating properly then it could be a circulating problem such as a clogged raditor, or bad water pump. : )

Backyardmechanic