CHEVY RADIATOR FAN SWITCH

1995 Chevrolet Corsica

1995 Chevy Corsica 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 168000 miles

Hello. For starters I would like to say thank you for answering my first question about my problem car. Now I have another problem. I have been through the chilton book on this one a hundred times, but I can not locate where the switch or the relay is. It says that the relay is on the strutt tower, but the only thing there is the ABS relay. The blower motor for my heater and A/C works sometimes, and my radiator fan comes on and so does the " service engine soon" light. Then when my fan goes off, so does the service engine light. What is causing this? I have all but rebuilt the engine on this car.
KarensMan

Hello and thanks for donating

If the fan is coming on then the relay is most likely not the problem. When the A/C does work, does it make the radiator fan come on? If not, it could be a faulty a/c compressor switch.

Bluelightnin6
The fan comes on when I start the car sometimes, and the " Service Engine Soon" light comes on with it and goes off when the fan goes off. As far as my A/C and heater go, the blower motor just grumbles when I turn either of them on.
Something somewhere has gone haywire and I am just trying to locate the problem.
Whatever it is, it is causing my battery to drain over night, so I checked ( unhooked negative battery cable over night) and it is not my battery. I hooked it up this morning and she started right up, but so did the fan. Could this be the switch? And where is my A/C compressor switch located? I have checked all of my fuses and they are good. Where would you start, and how would you check this out? I can not trace the wires (LT Blue and Black) from my radiator fan because they are running to a much larger wiring harness, and into the passengers side firewall.

KarensMan
How does your temp gauge read on the dash, does it start at cold, and then eventually get to the middle of the sweep, staying there while driving?

The PCM is the main control device that controls your fan operation, and sends voltage to your fan control relays. I believe the transister is stuck closed, which is part of the PCM and acts as a switch. Try swapping the PCM out and see if it helps.

Bluelightnin6
Yes the temp guage is in normal specs. Where do I find my PCM? The book I have is horrible, and not always correct in locations of parts. Etc. I also noticed that when I disconnected the " Service Engine" wire (oran

KarensMan
The PCM is just behind the right kick panel

Bluelightnin6
Thank you very much. Would it be ok to change the PCM with one from a wrecking yard?

KarensMan
Yes it would work fine

Bluelightnin6