CHEVY MULTIPLE MISFIRE

2006 Chevrolet Colorado

2006 Chevy Colorado 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 59000 miles

I had a misfiring problem and brought it to Autozone. They ran a diagnostics on it and said it was a number 1 misfire. I changed all the sparkplugs and the number 1 boot. It started running great and my gas mileage went up to where it should be. I drove it about 300 miles and it started running poorly again. I brought it back to Autozone and they ran another diagnostics on it and said it was a number 1 misfire again. I was told to switch the number 1 boot withthe number 3 boot to see if it changes from number 1 misfire to a number 3 misfire. If so it was a bad boot. I did that and brought it back to them for a third diagnostics check and now it is saying multiple random misfire. I was wondering what I can do to fix the problem myself. And maybe if it could be the box where all 4 wires run to. Please help. Thanks
Gavin1029

Random misfire is normally caused by vacuum leaks and bad fuel.

So what what I need to check for a vaccum leak?

Gavin1029
You can use a vacuum gauge, or listen to a hissing sound around the intake manifold and vacuum hoses.

So should I go ahead and change all four coils? Or maybe just the number 1 and 3 coil and see what happens. I know they are like 60 something dollars a piece.

Gavin1029
Check the no.1 cylinder compression and injector disregard the coils at this time till you rule out this two

How would I go about checking num 1 cylinder compression and injector. I really don't know too much about engines. Just the simple things.

Gavin1029
You need to clean your throttle body, it is easy and cheap

Byates