CHEVY ABS PROBLEMS?

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

Brakes problem
2006 Chevy Cobalt 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 60,000 miles

Hi! I have a 2006 Cobalt LT Coupe. This past December I had new brake pads and and a new wheel bearing on the front drivers side replaced on my vehicle. A little after this time the traction control and ABS light came on. There was nothing wrong with my breaks and they seemed to be working correctly, the lights just sort of came on and would go on and off periodically. Shortly after I had this done, I had my car inspected and asked the guy if he could take a look to see what the problem was. When I came to pick the car up he told me they didn't have the scanner to see what the problem was, but if I came back at a later time he could bring one in for an outrageous charge. He also said that its not anything major it just meant that I just had " regular" brakes for the time being until I had the problem fixed. So I decided to call the original mechanic and he said a sensor could have gone bad. But since I wasn't having any major problems I have just let it go. Within the past couple weeks all of a sudden the lights turned off and when I put enough pressure on the brakes to stop they seem too be locking up and just the ABS light was coming on. They are making a mechanical noise almost like a grinding but not quite, and I can feel the brake pedal sort of locking up and pulsating back against my foot. It doesn't do it all the time, sometimes the traction light will come on again, and when it does the brakes don't lock up anymore. But I could literally stop and restart the car and all of a sudden it starts again. Any ideas? Feedback would be very helpful!
Jenallyn06