CHEVY ENGINE CHECK, P0171 CODE

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

2005 Chevy Cobalt 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

I ilike some advice, I have a engine check, took it to Auto Zone, put the engine analyzer, error code P0171, look it up on the WWW, it says that it couild be the MAF sensor, dirty or malfunction, my question is should I just put a new one on, or just clean it with a MAF sensor cleaner.

Thank you.

Causes
A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of " oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Miltongina

Cleaning a MAF sensor will normally only help for a short amount of time, and this is only if the sensor is even still working. I would suggest just replacing the sensor.

Bluelightnin6
Yes, I bought the MAF sensor cleaner and still getting Check Engine, I already order the sensor at O'Rially auto parts and will change it tomorrow, Thank you for your advice.

Miltongina
Yes, I bought the MAF sensor cleaner and still getting Check Engine, I already order the sensor at O'Rially auto parts and will change it tomorrow, Thank you for your advice.[/Quote: b6122d9638]

I change the MAF sensor for a new 1 and so far no problems with the Engine Check light, I read somewhere that the MAF sensor should be change over 60,000 miles. Thanks for the good advice.

Miltongina