CHEVY CHEVY SHAKING OFF AND ON.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2005 Chevy Cobalt 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 138000 miles

A few days ago my 2005 Cobalt started shaking pretty bad when I pulled up to a stop light. When I tried to accelerate I couldn't get much power. I put in a fuel treatment, changed the spark plugs and the air filter and for a day or so the car ran fine. Today it started again but this time it didn't kick back into gear as it did before.
I also smelled something burning under the hood but couldn't pinpoint where. Had a fuel system test done on it but no leak but I did smell fuel as well before I had that done.
It's very frustrating.
Engine lights been on for a while now. Had 2 diagnostics done on it but nothing could be found.
One mechanic says I need a muffler. I really don't know where to go from here. I really don't want to get another diagnostic if they can't pinpoint the problem.
Tfrazier01