ENGINE DIES UPON ACCELLERATION

Chevrolet Cheyenne

1995 Chevrolet Cheyenne 6.8 turbo diesel, automatic, one-ton flat bed with approximately 135,000 miles.

Engine had been running fine except on a hard acceleration when it sometimes missed--not seriously but noticeably. The other day, I had driven about 15 miles and started accelerating as I entered a freeway. The engine started heavily misfiring and within 10 seconds, died. It restarted but went only a short distance and died again. I was able to get back home but only after several starts, stops, rests, restarts. No " water in Fuel" light ever came on and fuel filter appeared fairly clean with only the bottom area of the filter even stained. I replaced the fuel filter anyway and it seems to be running OK now but I'm afraid to venture very far until I know what might have been the cause of the problem. Any ideas?
Wponder3

Could be a problem with the injector pump. Or at least one injector due to the miss you describe. They have very high fuel system pressure, I wouldnt suggest doing much testing in that area yourself, probably should take it to a diesel shop

Jack42