CHEVY TRUCK WON'T START WHEN IT'S COLD OR WET

1998 Chevrolet Cheyenne

1998 Chevy Cheyenne 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

For the last year our truck has developed this problem. When it is cold and wet many times the truck won't start. The engine turns over but - no start. Usually by the afternoon it will start. This has been going on for about a year. No problem in the summer and now that it is winter the problem has begun again. We obviously feel it has something to do with the wetness so we are putting a blanket over the hood to keep out the water and the truck has been starting. The truck now is starting to cut out a bit. Any ideas?
Donna masters

Check the ground between the battery and engine and engine to firewall. Make sure connections at the coil and sparkplugs are tight and firm. Also when it starts up make it idle and wiggle the main wiring harness and see if the engine reacts to it-

Check the wiring connectors at the computer. BTW when you 1st turn key to run position do you hear the fuel pump come On for a few secs? Get back with me asap

Thanks for such a fast reply to my questions. My husband is going to take your suggestion to our mechanic tonight.

My husband is not sure if he hears the fuel pump come on when it is not starting.

I will get back to you.

Donna masters
I have the same problem with my 98 chevy. I've had fuel filter changed, new battery, alternator. Fuel pump works good and shop tested other things and they are stumped too.
Know I getting a code that says MAF problemt. The person at Auto Zone said to try to clean the air filter befor e I get this done. From reading the post I see alot of problems with this but nobody has the right answer. Even if you take it to the dealer they will try everything to fix it but it cost alot.
The ESS light goes on after awhile if I rev the gas while driving. Its like the engine wants to cough something out. If I rev doing netural there is no problem. Something is getting wet. I will try the ground cables.

Preilly
Hi, Thank you for responding to our chevy problem. Our mechanic is going to try and figure it out tomorrow. He is not sure either. Good Grief!

I'll keep you posted on what we are doing and if we are successful in discovering what the problem is it. Right now I am sure the neighbors are wondering why we are tucking our truck in at night with a quilt over the hood.

Thank you for your input.

Donna masters
Hi,
Our mechanic was finally able to observe our truck not starting. The fuel pump checks out ok.

My husband told our mechanic all of the suggestions I received form rasmataz. The mechanic discovered that the last tune up performed on the truck was done with inferior parts hence all of the problems. So we are getting a complete tune up and all new parts. Our mechanic had no idea what was wrong until my husband gave him your ( rasmataz) suggestions.

Thanks so much for your help.

Donna masters
Still having problems esp. When it's wet out. With the snow melting water is getting on something. Any suggestions for checking out the wiring around the starter. Or maybe something getting on a sensor. If anyone could help, thanks.

Preilly
Hi preilly,

When you are unable to start, you need to test what is missing. Use the following links to check the appropriate heading and let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/first_things.htm

Try spraying the wires to the plugs with a silicone lubricant spray, had the same problem, it will help in the short term but wires will need to be replaced as they may be cracked allowing the moisture in.

Darlene fox