CHEVY CAR DIES WHEN PUT IN GEAR AFTER MAP CO

1987 Chevrolet Celebrity

1987 Chevy Celebrity 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

The air tube from MAP to engine was cut before I got the car. I was told it was cut because the car would stall otherwise due to an unknown problem and that it was just a quick fix to get the car running. I tried reconnecting the tube and reseting the pcm by disconnecting the battery. No change, but no stall *(car still sounds like it's misfiring -timing/spark are all fine- until the SES light kicks on, then car runs' okay' ). I replaced the MAP, reset pcm. Now with everything connected the car will run at a slightly high rpm @ start, won't kick into idle speed (even tried reving engine to kick into idle), the SES light does not come on, but when you try to put it into gear it dies. So @ this point I still have the air tube from MAP disconnected. Any ideas why this is happening?
Rlykens

Get it scanned for trouble codes and post them back here!

It will greatly help me with solving your problem, and save you some money with guesswork!

Blackop555