CHEVROLET CAVALIER ENGINE PROBLEM

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier

On my dashboard a light is flashing sometimes it looks like an arrow pointing down that's in the square and at the bottom of the square a line that represents liquid (like a wave). It's on the right side of the dashboard and I don't know what it means because I don't have a car manual. Thank you in advance.
Sentraman

It is a manual shft down/up indicator. You might have to do a light-ectomy or use a piece of back tape.

How long have you had the car? Let me know

Losone
I bought the car 4 months ago. It has 80 000km on it. Can you explain what this means and is it a concern should I go to a mechanic to fix it. The car has automatic transmission.

Sentraman
Also if you know what's the normal operating temperature of engine because when i'm stuck in traffic the temp gauge goes above 90 deg. It feels like my fan doesn't even come on. When i'm driving the car on highway the temperature is around 90. Maybe it's thermostat and if it is where is it located if you know by a chance. Thanks man.

Sentraman
Is that light red? I am pretty sure it is low coolent level. Fill it up and see how long it takes to reach the low level again and with this you can decide if it is a priority or not.

Wiseguy_75
I need to know exactly which light is on and under what circumstances. The fan won't come on until the engine reaches 212F or 100C. It is designed to run in that range. The thermostat controls the minumium operating temp of the engine and it should be between 90 and 100C

Losone
I ahve this exact same problem.2000 cavalier, same light comes on. Tried filling up the coolant. Light still came on. Now it juss started heating up tremendously.I cant drive down the street w/o it already heating up to redline. My dad thinks its the water pump. But where is it on the 2.2L motor? N how do u change it?

Dyno_man