96 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON WITH INTAKE

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier

I have a 1996 Cavalier Z24 and I bought an aftermarket short ram intake (Ingen) for it; however, when I put it in my check engine light always stays on. Do you know what would cause that? Is the Mass Air Flow Censor bad, or do I just need to make sure it is in fully, or could it be another problem? Thanks
96cavalier

Most likely the computer recognizes there is more air flow and it is throwing it off. I would say if you are sure there are no other issues then just live with the light. Your other option is to have the computer reprogrammed, which is probably not worth your time or money. I would have the code read to see what the computer thinks is the problem.

Arkose
Check for vacum leaks, and recheck all of your connections. The intake will alter the way air fuel mixtures enter the engine, but it should not interfer with the stock programming. If you cant find anything obvious. Unhook the battery for 10-15 mins and retry.

Sc1 racing
Is there a good way to check for vacuum leaks? If there was a leak wouldn't it try the check engline light on? I have also tried unhooked my engine for about 5 minutes. Do you have any more advice? Thank you.

96cavalier
To find vacum leak you can use a stethascope, and listen, or if you are brave and carefull you can take carb cleaner with engine running and sprat it on hoses and where the gasket mates the intake together. If a leak is present the car will idle up when you spray the leaking area. Read the box the intake came in and just double check if any computer mods have to be programed. It shouldnt effect computer untill you get into boosting compression, and cam lift and timing.

Just double check around the area you were working on putting the intake on. It always ends up being something simple that was overlooked.

Sc1 racing
Okay, thank you. I'll try all that out.

96cavalier
HI, I just went through having the check engine light
on and it turned out to be a bad ground and a bad
pigtale in the wiring harness. Have someone thats good with wiring check it out. My car ran really rough, the transmission shifted rough and got
terrible gas miliage. The computer said it was a coolant sensor and we replaced it but it still kept
showing the coolant sensor, the wiring was bad to
it and the car temp gauge wouldn't work. It runs
great now. Hope this helps. Linda : -)

Lgtu2