CHEVY NO DIPSTICK

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

2004 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 79000 miles

I want to check my transmission fluid. There is no dipstick. Where do I check it at, how do I fill it, and what kind of fluid do I use (just any kind?). There is a cap for what looks like gear oil (?) Too. Has a " gear" symbol on it. What is it and do I need to be adding gear oil? So confused. I am a female, and am capable of doing my own maintenance usually, changing my own oil and stuff like that, but I am lost on this. I just bought this car from an individual, it didnt come with a car manual. Thanks for any help you can give.
Melissa
Mrgarrett

Ahhh, yes. The ol' Cavalier with no tranny dipstick hehe. This is a common complaint for this vehicle. Very odd that Chevrolet didn't encorporate a dipstick for the tranny fluid.

Here is how Chevrolet suggest checking fluid.

Start the car and allow it to idle for 10 mins or until it is at normal operating temperature. Then, starting in park, go through all the gears and see if it shifts smooth. If it feels ok then it should be good, but if you have reason to believe that the fluid is low then it is suggested that an experienced mechanic check your fluid. The process is a bit dangerous but I will post it so you can take a stab at it if you feel you are experienced enough. Raise the vehicle and ensure the car is level to give an accurate reading. The car must be running and at normal operating temp. The check plug is located in the front right corner of the drain pan near the engine oil drain plug. The fluid should be just at the bottom of the peep hole, if it overflows alot then it is too full and if it does not come out at all you need to add a small amount of fluid.

Use DEXRON III tranny fluid.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for using 2carpros. Com !

Thank you! That was very helpful. The red cap, not sure what it is. Hehehe. But I changed the oil and the oil cap is right on top of the valve cover. The mysterious " red cap with gear symbol" is to the right and below the oil cap, kinda under the air filter, steering fluid reservoir and brake fluid reservoirs. LOL. Anyway, thank you again. You were very helpful.

Melissa

Mrgarrett
I could not find any info on the cap with the gear symbol in any of my sources. However, a quick call to your local Chevrolet dealer should solve the mystery for you ; )