CHEVY REMOVING REAR DRUMS

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

Brakes problem
2003 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

I want to eventually change the rear drums and shoes. But before I'm sure I want to do this I wanted to take a look inside the drum before I start doing anything. Once the tire was removed I was told that the drum should just come off probably with the help of a couple of bangs with the hammer to loosen it. But it seems there is something still holding it on. I think it might be the cap in the center if the drum that might have to be unscrewed or something. I just need to know that I really don't have the tool for the job before I throw some money at a mechanic.
Yoiner

Just check if you have any washer like star on one of the studs
and if so you have to cut it and remove it
hammer the ….. of it and then it should pup out

Have an automotive repair question!
Sign up and ask your automotive question !
http://www.2carpros.com/affiliate/uid/bmrfixit_1_tlid_1

BMRFIXIT
After removing the star washer on the lug stud, spray WD-40 around the center of the drum. They rust right there and must be broken loose. Get a LARGE screwdriver and stick it in the side of the drum like you are trying to pry it off. Put a good amount of pressure on it, then give it a good whach, close to center between the lug studs with a heavy hammer where you have your screwdriver. Then rotate the drum to do the other side. It may take more than one whack to break it loose. The tools you will need is: that hammer and large screwdriver, medium size neddle nose plires, long slim screw driver, small piece of sand paper, brake cleaner spray. DON'T BREATHE THE BRAKE DUST! Do one wheel at a time, if you forget how it goes back, just look at the other side

Smokingallowed