CHEVY IGNITION PROBLEMS

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier

2002 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 77,235 miles

Most of the time the car will start quickly with no problems. About once a month the car will not start, but will still crank over. Leaving the car alone for a couple of days, it will start right up. Another thing is sometimes the key will stay locked in the crank position once the car starts and the instrument cluster will not have power until you work the key back a little. I think both problems may be related
B Vela

If key is locked in start position then it is most likely the key cylinder.

A good locksmith can remove and repair the cylinder.

While you can replace the cylinder and replace with a new one, the key would not operate the doors or any other locks.

Mmprince4000
Mmprince4000.I didn't receive an anwser on my question about the car not starting. The car normally starts quickly with out any problems; But I want to say once a month the car will not start. It will crack over, but not start, like there isn't any fire. You can smell the fuel, if you let it turn over a bit. The weird thing is, if you let the car sit for a day or two and try again, the car starts without problem and will run great for another month or so. What do think the problem could be?

B Vela
Normally you troubleshoot this problem by spraying starting fluid down intake, if it runs a few seconds then it is a fuel problem, if not then ignition.

The problem is that this is an intermitent problem, these are hard to diagnose.

Does it happen only when raining? Is there anything you can think of that is different when this happens? Like weather, just filled up with gas, anything?

Mmprince4000
No, it has not happened when it's raining yet. Weather or fuel amount doesn't appear to be a factor. It can be a cool or hot day and the fuel tank can be full, half or even at a quarter tank, when the problem happens. Do you think it could be the passlock system malfuctioning? How does it work?

B Vela
Is security light flashing? Or constantly on?

Mmprince4000
No. How do you remove the steering column shell covers on my 02 cavalier? I can't figure out how to remove the bottom half. Does the tilt lever unscrew from the tilt mechanism?

B Vela
The intermittent starting problem could be an ignition module, they can be checked at most autoparts stores for free.

It could also be the ignition switch.

I suggested the locksmith, or dealer/trusted garage because anytime you attempt repairs near steering column, you take a chance with accidental airbag deployment.
This can be a dangerous situation.

Mmprince4000