CHEVY ALTERNATOR REPLACEMENT

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier

Engine problem
2001 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 130000 miles

I have a squealling coming from under the hood and I think it is the alternator. Can you tell me how hard is to replace it? Not sure what all has to be taken off to get to it. Also how hard is it to get to the idler arm to reduce the belt tension?

Pilgrim

A squeak might be coming from your alternator but probably not a squeal. If it sounds like the belt is squealing then you might have a bad serpentine belt tensioner. What engine do you have. Its the eigth letter of your v.I.N. Number

Mastertechtim
The eigth letter is T
Is the belt tensioner hard to replace?

Pilgrim
I just looked it up and it does look tricky. It shows removing the ac compressor because the tensioner is part of the bracket holding ac compressor. Id advise bringing it to your local repair shop and have them diagnose the problem. I hope this helps.

Mastertechtim
What should I expect to pay for an alternator replacement or tensioner replacement job

Pilgrim
Im showing a dealer list price of $300 for alternator and.7 hours labor. You will probably be charged up to 2 hours labor to diagnose and replace alternator. * You could use aftermarket parts and pay less money. Im not showing a price on tensioner, but the labor is about 2 hours just to replace tensioner. I hope this helps

Mastertechtim
Thanks for your help

Pilgrim