CHEVY ENGINE WILL NOT TURN OVER/LOST POWER

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier

2000 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135232 miles

Went to start car and lost all power to starter, radio, turn signals, heater etc.(The headlights, horn, door locks, interior lights still work). Replaced the battery and checked all connections. Checked the fuses under the hood, they were all good and getting power but about only half the fuses on the dash are getting power. The ones that are not getting power are ing mdl, wiper, heater, f inj, turn signal, erls, air bag, bcm, H vac, bcm clu, cruis, pcm and abs. I will be happy to make a donation if you can help me out this problem is driving me crazy. Thanks
Debbie Sinclair

Open the hood and behind the left headlight, find the underhood fuse box, inspect the fuses in this box, it sounds like the IGN(ignition) fuse blew.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_fuse_box_location_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_fuses_5.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Underhood_fuses_1.jpg

Merlin2021
In response to your answer I've already checked all of the fuses under the hood and they were all OK.
Will there be another location for more fuses to be checked that was not noted in the picture? I also checked all of the fuses on the inside dashboard and half were getting power.
Thanks,
Dave

Debbie Sinclair
Dave you may need to disconnect the negative battery cable, remove the under hood fuse box and chack the condition of the connections there and at the bulkhead connector where the harness goes into the vehicles inside fuse box, something is loose.

Merlin2021
I did what you suggested and nothing is loose. I checked the wires on both fuse boxes. I did notice on the relay that connects to the starter, only one of the 3 wires was hot. Coiuld it be a problem? Does the car's electric system run thru the relay?
Do you have any more ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

Debbie Sinclair
Check the B+ wire Red, coming from the alternator, see if the fusible links is blown, test for power at the B+ alternator terminal, then again after the link

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Alt_3.jpg

Shop: RODOC LEASING AND SALES
Date: 2/1/2008 12:09:32 PM
wiring diagram doesn't include a starter relay that is mounted on the upper radiator support. It has a short ground wire to the dipstick bracket. Broken wire = no start
Applies to the following models:
1998 Buick Skylark
1998-2001 Chevrolet Cavalier
1998 Oldsmobile Achieva
1998 Pontiac Grand Am
1998-2001 Pontiac Sunfire
A Mitchell tip.
This is a Recall fix and if your car doesn't have this relay, the recall wasn't done on yours yet. And the reason for the recall was overheating at the ignition switch with possibility of fire. Fusible links at the starter should be checked. Just tug a little on them if they stretch and break, they were burned out.
The other possibilities include, bad ignition switch, bad BCM, Faulty wiring.

Merlin2021
As I wrote previously, I had already put a new ignition switch on and I had checked both fusible links. I went ahead and had the car towed to a garage because we needed to get it working again as soon as possible. I will reply when I find out what was wrong.
Dave

Debbie Sinclair
OK Dave.

Merlin2021
My 2001 cavalier just started doing the same thing what did your mechanic say the problem was?

Whiteshadow99
Try clicking on the email link maybe he will answer you. I am sendin a recall PDF to you to check out. Also try this fix: Cavaliers have a ground wire that mounts directly to the bell housing. Check voltage from ground lug on bell housing to negative terminal on battery with vehicle running, if there is more than.10v present. Replace ground cable. They have a body lug ground half way down the cable that mounts to the battery tray, and they tend to corrode enough that the vehicle will start and charge somewhat (using other grounds).

Merlin2021