CHEVY REVERSE LIGHTS/NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier

1999 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

On the 1999 Cavalier, turn signals and reverse lights are on the same circuit. Turn signals operate normally until I put the car in reverse and then the fuse blows. I have traced the wiring through the trunk the cabin and the engine compartment, found no cuts breaking or exposed wire.
Has anyone heard of the neutral safety switch shorting out only on the reverse light side, not on the starter power side? I will test power going in (pink wire) on the VOM today but don't really know how I would check going out of the switch due to the fact that the fuse will blow when reverse is engaged. Thanks
Gator1996

Jusy for testing, I'd take the connector loose from neutral switch, use jumper wire with inline fuse to battery voltage. Touch to lite green wire, for the reverse lites, see if the fuse still blows. Where applicable, the reverse bulb sockets are ok?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/512072_cavalier_backup_lamps_1.jpg

Internetmechanic
Hello. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, I was able to jump the wires and no issues with the actual b/u lights, they work like a champ. I have determined that there is an intermittent short somewhere in the system but have not been able to find it as of yet. These two circuits are not related so it is a mystery. Still looking.

The short is blowing the b/u light fuse and the ignition fuse. But only sometimes. I can't really esablish a pattern. I will say the ignition fuse only blows when the accelerator is pressed quickly when in gear. It will idle forever and even run in gear if you are super easy on the gas.

Gator1996
As far as the ignition, I saw more than one ignition fuse. One is 20 amp and supplies voltage to the ignition module.

Internetmechanic
It is the 20A fuse in the side of the dash. It blows on hard acceleration and obvioulsy stalls the car. Its petty dangerous. As I mentioned, can't find a short. I hookd the VOM to the pink wire that supplies 12v to the ingition module. The wire shows a continuous circuit. The black in the same clip shows a good ground. The only other item on that circuit is the Crank Sensor. The wiring there is good and the sensor has just been replaced. Any thoughts?

Gator1996
That type crank sensor makes it's own voltage. I'd do an ohms test across the coils secondary towers. 5K to 8K ohms. 2.2L ignition coil. With key off.

Internetmechanic