:REPLACING ALTERNATOR:NEED HELP W/TENSIONER

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

I am trying to replace my alternator. As far as I know, I need to loosen the belt tensioner to allow slack in the belt, so I can pull it of the pulleys.

My problem is I have limited access to the tensioner. I cannot get a ratchet in there because the ratchet is too thick. I have bought a special serpentine belt wrench, but it is so long I cannot move it in any direction w/o bumping other brackets.

Can it be possible to change the alternator just by unbolting it and manually removing the belt?

Also when I put the new one in, will I be able to put the belt back on manually?
Walno1

NVM; Problem fixed.

I took the alternator off just by unbolting it, naturally the belt slid right off. My concern was putting the new one on.

Of course when I put the new one on, I had no slack in the belt. With limited access to my belt tensioner, I managed to get my belt tensioner tool in there, but still could not get enough leverage.

After staring at this thing for awhile, I realized I could just push down on the tensioner as opposed to turning the tensioner. Once I realized this, I pushed down more than enough I then just slipped the belt on.

Hope this might help someone else.

Walno1