CHEVY MANUAL TRANS POPS INTO 2ND WHEN TRYING

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

1997 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 130000 miles

I installed a remanufactured manual transmission from ManTrans. Com about 10k ago (out of warranty, and they don't have a clue how to help). I have an intermittent problem where if I try to go into reverse the transmission jumps into 2nd gear. When it does this, the trans is locked in 2nd and I can't get any other gear. I can only fix it by taking the gear selector/relay plate on the trans (the one that the shifter cables go to) off and manually resetting the three plates inside the trans. It seems like the top plate is 1-2, middle plate is 3-4, and the lower plate is 5-R? When this 'jump' happens, the top selector plate (inside the trans) jumps over and the shifter pawl can't get back into position to get it out of 2nd. It must manually be reset. Frequently, doing several 1-2 shifts of the shifter while the clutch is in assists with getting the shifter into reverse and not having the 2nd gear engage. ANY recommendations are welcome at this point. Many of the Techs I talk to are lost on this one. Thanks!
Leorihn

DOES IT MATTER WHICH GEAR YOU ARE SHIFTING OUT OF WHEN GOING INTO REVERSE? OR IS IT MORE OFTEN COMING OUT OF SOME GEARS THAN OTHERS?

Jrt
No, not really. It is usually happens when I first get in and I need to back out of a parking spot. If I try and go right into reverse there can be a little bit of resistance. If I were to let out the clutch at that point, it pops into 2nd. If I leave the clutch in and do a 1-2 shift it usually slides right into reverse. If it doesn't I do the 1-2 again until it goes right in.

Leorihn
YOU MAY WANT TO GET THIS.
Purchase the Online Repair Manual.
SEE AUTO REPAIR MANUALS ON SITE MENU.
ONLY $9.99!

Jrt