CHEVY CAR OVERHEATING

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier

Engine Cooling problem
1996 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 99,000 miles

I have 1996 Chevy Cavalier with 99,000 miles. I recently had a problem with the engine overheating and had taken the car to a mechanic. The mechanic replaced my water pump and saw no other problems with the car. The engine was checked with a laser gage to determine the temperature of the car while running and the mechanic reported no problems with the temperature. In the month since the water pump was replaced, the car's temperature ran normal until I drove it about 5 miles in town. I noticed the temperature was running extremely high. I checked for leaks in hoses but the hoses were dry and there were no fluids in the parking space where I typically park. Could this be a problem related to the radiator since that part hasn't been replaced?
Arunion