CHEVY A/C LEAKING INTO PASSENGER SIDE FLOOR

1994 Chevrolet Caprice

Air Conditioning problem
1994 Chevy Caprice V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

The A/C unit is draining into the passenger side floor board drenching the carpet font and back. I checked the drain tube which was clear but I blew air into it to make sure and it is clear. I did notice that the unit bolted to the firewall seemed loose. After tightening it the leak appeared to stop but then after a week I am having the same issue. Any ideas?
MVSartin

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation

Do you think it is condensation from the A/C or have you had a few rain events and it may be rain water?

Mhpautos
No, it is not condensation or rainwater. To clarify further, water is running out of the drain tube in the engine compartment like normal but unfortunately it is also leaking into the vehicle. After the carpet was drenched I realized it would need replacing so I cut the carpet on the passenger side. I also put a slit in the rubber by the firewall so that I could see where it was leaking. I can see that water is leaking from under the " seal" that is between the part of the a/c unit that is bolted to the firewall inside the vehicle. That is when I tighted the bolts protruding in the engine compartment and the leaking stopped for a week but has since begun to leak again. It only leaks when the a/c is on. Can the seal be replaced or can I use a sealant or something else? Or what else can I do to stop the leaking into the car?

MVSartin
Hi there,

I would back off the mounting bolts and ease the evaporator back off the fire way and get in and seal as best you can with silicon sealant, short of removing the unit and replacing the seal I think this is your only quick option.

Mhpautos