CHEVORLET 153,000 MILES TRANSMISSION & OVERH

1996 Chevrolet Camaro

I just bought a 1996 Chevolet Camaro from a dealership, the car has 153,000 miles on it. I only test drove it around the block sisnse the sellsmen informed me it was nearly out of fuel. It seemed to run fine in the short didtance and speed I drove it. However when I biught it and was driving it home on the highway I noticed I had some problems on my hands.

First of all as soon as I got onto the highway I noticed that the automatic transmission would shirt just fine from first to second but it seems to just be stuck in second all the time. I can reach fairly high speeds " around 75 is as fast as I have pushed it" But at the high speed the rpm gauge get way up and the motor just revs up very high but won't go into drive or overdrive. When I let off the gas and coast the rpm's go back to normal and it runs quit. I changed the transmission filler and cleaned the pan but it did not solve my problem.

Also it is overheating. I changed the thermostat and the water pump but this did not solve the problem. The heater does not blow hot air even when the temperature guage gets into the red danger zone. I can't smell any coolant while inside the car and the oil looks good so I don't think it's a cracked head or heater core problem. However it does appear as if the water is not circulating properly as several hoses have failed as well as the water pump. Lt seems like the water builts up so much pressure it has to find the weekest point in the system to exit. The overflow tank has a leak in it and it will not hold water at all, would that make it overheat?

I will be very thankful for any help in resolving these matters.
[/b]
Lonnie