CHEVY STARTING POROBLEM

1989 Chevrolet Camaro

1989 Chevy Camaro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 114000 miles

my 1989 camaro rs used to have problems starting after it was driven for a while. I would turn the key and nothing would happen. I would have to wait 5 min or so for it to cool down so I could start it again. But recently it just wont start at all. I turn the key and nothing at all happens. The battery is charged and the lights can come on but it just wont try to tuen the engine over or do anything. I think it might be the starter but when I bought I was told it was a new starter. Im just wondering what the problem might be.
Steven11891

Welcome to the forum, do you have a security system on the vehicle? A problem there, is a possibility. The purple wire at starter solenoid should be hot, with the key in the start position, is it?

I have the same issue with my 89 camaro 2.8, have allready repaced my starter. Also having other issues with dash lights and headlights. I am looking at my grounds. It does the exact same thing after driving for an hour it wont do anything untill it cools off for 15 minutes sorry to jump your post Steve I hope we can get this figured out.

Bill Markee
I checked the purple wire with a multimeter and nothing there when you turn the key to start pos. And Yes the stock security is still on the car, it is just the key with a resistor in it, and the security light does not come on when trying to start it. Any ideas will be appreciated.
For now I have rigged a seperate starter button under ther hood so when it acts up I'm not stranded.

Bill Markee
Hi, is this an automatic, did you try cranking in neutral? Possible problem with neutral/gear select switch. Also there is a starter enable relay, part of the theft system, driver side kick panel. It receives two feed circuits from the ignition switch, both yellow wires. One voltage feed for the load side of relay, the other for the coil side of relay. The decoder module grounds the coil side of relay in order to energize. You will have to test when the problem is ongoing.

It is an auto and I will try that next time it acts up, that is one I have had to drive out to rescue a couple family members on, our Jeeps are notoriuos for having to jam them into park sometimes to activate that switch Is there a way to bypass the anti theft module?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/454833_89_camaro_2009_002_2.jpg

Bill Markee
Not that I know of?

I beleive we have a winner, I was out tody delivering a starter to my son, (yeah when it rains it pours), and when I got there I tried to start it in park and got nothing so I put her in nuetral and she cranked right over. I will be replacing that asap.
Thanks and I hope this is the same fix for Steve

Bill Markee
I know what you mean, when one of my kids has a car problem, I get a phone call. Goodluck

Ive tried starting it in neutral but it doesnt worjk still. It just plain wont start now. Ill have to go out and get stuff to test connections.

Steven11891
Here is a picture of my switch the contacts don't look good I'm going to Napa to get a new one today. Notice the purple wire, it goes to the solenoid I believe. Have you tried a jump wire from your solenoid to your battery yet? And mine wouldn't start in nuetral when it was really warmed up either.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/454833_89_camaro_2009_003_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/454833_89_camaro_2009_004_1.jpg

Well thats not it. Started fine then nothing again I'm going after the security system relay now.

Bill Markee
Page 1 of 2