CHEVY

1972 Chevrolet Camaro

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1972 Chevy Camaro V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual

I have a 1953 Chevy truck with a 383 that I recently (several hundred miles ago)changed over from a Turbo 350 automatic to a Tremec TKO-500 5 speed with a hydraulic clutch. The rear end is out of a 1972 camaro. If I am cruising down the road at a constant speed and step on the gas to accelerate, the back end moves to the right (sort of fish tails) and front then steers to the opposite side. Likewise if I am cruising in less than 5th gear and suddely take my foot off of the gas, the same thing happens in the opposite direction as I decelerate. The problem was very slight at first, but seems to be getting worse. I'm thinking it is a problem with the rear end unequalliy transfering power to the wheels, but don't know. Any suggestions on what the cause may be or how to determine what the cause is?
2cptrapp

Make sure the leaf springs/shocks/and-or/suspension is installed correctly. If so, then it is time for a new rear differential. I believe you are correct that the power is not transferring properly. If you have a rear that has clutches in it, then you can rebuild it.

Also, inspect the frame for any cracks or rotting.

Pear69
Thanks for the advice. Having never rebuilt a rear end before (although I'll try about anything), can you tell me what to look for when I open it up? Will it be obvious if there is a problem? Thanks.

2cptrapp
First: when you drain the rear end lube out, look for metal shavings and smell for burnt rear lube. There is a magnet inside of the rear. It is usually stuck to the cover, but it can be anywhere inside. You will be able to tell the condition of the rear by looking at how much metal and disk particals the magnet has picked up. Look at the gears for obvious damage and loose fitment. Check the front and rear pinion bearings for any movement - up and down - side to side.
If you have never rebuilt a rear before, purchase a car repair manual for your car. You need a magnetic dial indicator, micro-torque wrench, steel ruler, and various other tools. Read all of the steps in the manual first - make sure you understand them - and then read them again -- BEFORE you even remove the cover.
Rebuilding a rear is not for the beginner, especially when you are dealing with a 383ci chevy power plant. You can easily explode the rear if you do not understand the process and the gear ratios.

BTW - make sure it is the rear first and not the frame.

Pear69