TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

Chevrolet Blazer

I have a 2002 chevy blazer 4x4, 4.3l v6 engine 86k miles. Recently it has started to have transmission problems. While driving the tach will go up when stepping on the accelerator but it will take a few seconds for the vehicle to accelerate. Additionally while driving, if constant pressure isn't kept on the gas a slight " hiccup" with a drop then a surge on the tach which is noticeable as far as constant velocity goes. Is this the transmission or a fuel pump problem?
Green52

I am having almost the same exact problem - when first starting from a stop, the rpms spike and it hesitates befor accelerating and changing gears. This problem is especially pronounced on hills and when hauling any type of load. If I back off the gas, it usually settles down and runs fine. Also, sometimes on highway, it seems like the overdrive is not being engaged (right word?) - While I usually average 1500-2000 rpms at around 65-70 mph, when the problem occurs, the rpms will stay @3000. The service engine light came on the other day too, when it rains it pours.
Any help would be greaty appreciated!

Jimferguson