CHEVY OVER HEATED

2001 Chevrolet Blazer

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 118080 miles

I have a great little blazer that is still my favorite to drive but it is runnig screwy and I need some hints.

1. Everyday I have to add water to the radiator always 16-32 ounces. I don't drive far 20 miles round trip.

2. When I stop at the lights the car shudders and feels like it misses.

3. It runs fine down the highway but in slow moving traffic it boggs down.

4. It over heated today Tuesday the 22, First time in over 16 months.

5. The thermostat is fine it was wide open when the mechanic to the assembly apart. It collapsed in mere seconds after being exposed to the cooler envionment.

6. I have 20w-50 synthetic with a Lucas additive just changed 4,000 miles ago. I used the Fram exra guard filter. Today when I checked the oil it was milky, looked like coffe with creamer in it. Very upsetting but not the end of the world. I will change the oil tomorrow, but how will this affect my lifters? What is my potential downfall here.

7. The mechanic shop said " I have a blown head gasket and it will be a three day job costing 1,500 dollars. Wow to my supprise I figured bad water pump something simple not a head gasket.

8. What kind of test can be run to diagnose the problem properly? I do not wish to just give money away to people. If there is a 100 dollar diagnostic test that can be run I would prefer that. Is there really a way to deterine if it is a head gasket or are you supposed to take the at their word. Economics being what they are now can you really take someones word when the overhead is so high and the revenue so low?

9. I hope this is not too much information but I figure the more you know the better the guess. Thank you for your time.
Joe regulski

Take truck from that shop because the guy is inexperienced or overcharging, in my opinion. Anybody who has worked on these trucks before knows your problem is a leaking intake manifold gasket not a head gasket. This is such a common occurance I cant believe the mechanic thinks its a head gasket. The gasket for the lower intake manifold is made from plastic and rubber which in all cases the plastic gets brittle and breaks causing the gasket to split out, thus causing your leak. Get another opinion. Dont drive it anymore until you replace the gasket or you will do damage to engine. Hope this helps shed some light on the problem. Oh yeah this lower intake job should not cost more than 750. And at 750 thats on the high side. Ps they redesigned the gasket into rubber and steel so it wont happen again. Good luck

Mastertechtim
Just a little help for the uneducated in car lingo. What is the differance and how do I sound like I have a clue? Is the Head Gasket failure rate common along with the Intake Manifold Gasket. Where is this located and what type of repair is it in relation to the head gasket? I am confused. Can this be fixed and then have the head gasket go son after because now there ismore compression and it will seek a ne weakness?

Joe regulski
Sorry. I have worked for gm over ten years and worked on my own for several more. I have never seen a head gasket go bad on one of these trucks, its always been the lower intake manifold gasket. The difference is the manifold gasket takes much less time to replace and although it is possible for a head gasket to go bad, I have never seen one fail, its always just been the intake manifold gasket. In my opinion I think if you just replace the intake gaskets now you will have no further problems with the engine.

Mastertechtim
Thanks for your time and answers. Where is this intake manifold gasket located? How do I direct the mechanic to observe the failure possibility of this particular gasket instead of the head. Can the manifold be removed without compromising the integrity of the seal? Can the head be removed with out ruining the structural integrity of the head gasket? Can they the machanics do a gasket check or compression check to determine which specific area is damaged and replace that gasket? I appreciate the fact that you have never gad one go bad.

Joe regulski
You need to remove the intake to see that it is bad. **Im sure it is bad**. This gasket was so poorly designed that they updated it two times before they made one that would not fail. The original intake gasket is made out of plastic surrounding a rubber gasket. Needless to say that over time the plastic cracks and the rubber gasket spits out. The new updated gasket is hard rubber molded over steel so we wont have this problem anymore. Basically the intake manifold has to be removed before you can reach the head. Im so sure that when he removes the intake there will be no doubt that the intake gasket is gone. Sometimes its hard to detect a bad gasket but these fall apart so bad it can not be missed.

Mastertechtim