CHEVY DOOR SPRING FELL OUT

2000 Chevrolet Blazer

2000 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

My driver side door spring fell to the ground when I opened the door. I pressed the left part of the spring assembly and closed the door. No other part of the assembly appeared damaged. Is it possible to simply replace the spring, or is this part of a larger problem?
Kicklep

Well the spring doesn't normally just fall out. I would look REAL close at the door hinge bushings and the pins. Easy test is to open the door all the way, now grab the door and try to lift the end of it, like you're trying to tip over the truck using the door. It shouldn't move more than 1/4" up/down. If it does you probably have bad bushings. They are not real hard to replace but you do need one special tool to make it easier, and that tool is to remove and reinstall that spring that fell out! Some parts stores have it as a rental tool but you can buy one that will do the job at Harbor Freight for about 5 bucks.
Item number - 95344 One thing about that tool (and the others like it) apply some grease to the area where the bolt tensions the tool. It makes life easier.

If your bushings are OK (not real likely but it happens) they are available in the Help section of most parts stores as a kit with new bushings and the pin and retainer for one side. Tool wise you need the spring tool, a hammer and a long punch to drive out the pins. You also will want help to hold the door in place after you get the pins out. It is NOT a lightweight item. I have a special saddle for my floor jack but another strong person will work better. Replacement is simple, drive out the old pins, move the door out a bit, remove the old bushings, tap the new upper bushings in place and push the lower ones in, Then install the new pins (grease the inside of the new bushings and the pins as well) drive them home and install the retainer washer using a small deep socket

SWilliams