CHEVY BRAKE PAD REPLACEMENT

2000 Chevrolet Blazer

Brakes problem
2000 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic < 100K miles

My brakes were beginnning to make a slight scrubbing sound as most due wehen they need replacement. I felt the rotors and they did not have any scoring. I took my blazer to two auto repair shops (Known names) that said they would have to replace the calipers as well with the pads jacking the price up to unreasonable. I called the Chevrolet people to ask if their was a problem with thier brakes because as far as I can remember the calipers hold the piston to push the pads agaisnt the rotors and I could not understand why they had to replace the calipers. Chevorlet tech said that they did not have to replace the calipers. I let one of the repair shops replace the pads without the calipers and went on a 10 mile test trip and smoke was boiling where th pads were lheating up. What is the deal and who is right so I may tell the others they're wrong, or help them in their future repairs.
Allencl

Well both are correct. If the calipers are in good shape and not all rusty and the fluid is nice and clean, you don't HAVE to replace the calipers.
However if the vehicle has dirty fluid and is rusted replace the calipers. I generally replace them because a set of loaded calipers with good pads isn't that bad and can prevent a LOT of problems. The other thing could be a bad line or lines or a few other items as well.

SWilliams