CHEVY ENGINE WILL NOT START

2004 Chevrolet Aveo

2004 Chevy Aveo 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

My kids were driving this car on the interstate yesterday and they said they heard a hissing sound like a tire was going flat. They stopped the car and shut off the engine to investigate. When they found there was nothing wrong with the tires, the car would not start again. We tried to get the car started but it sounded like a weak battery, so I started to figure the altenator. We had the car towed home and I attempted to jump start it with no luck. The car cranks well when jumped and even sounds like the engine may start, but will not. Fuel pump is good. I am suspecting either the ECM, Ignition Module, or a fuel management problem. Is there a way to get the codes from the computer without having to hook it up to a reader? Also, do you have any idea what this problem may be?
Brian8796