'92 KICK-DOWN

1992 Chevrolet Astro

Hi all, looks like I've found the place I need to be here.

I'm in the UK(unfortunately!) And have an imported Chevy Astro Ext starcraft, 4.3L V6.

The problem I'm having which seems to have recently started is that almost every time I try to accelerate the van wants to kick-down, which usually results in stupid revving and going nowhere, fast!

This happens at all speeds and even when trying to accelerate slowly (non 'agressively').

This is a recent development and it's not always been like this, I was thinking the clutch or torque converter or even trans fluid(checked the level and that's OK) but I'm no mechanic!

Any ideas?

btk
Billythekid

IS it down shifting or just slipping? Might be worth while to drop the trans pan and look for debris/plugged filter or something else obvious

Jack42
It's down-shifting, then slipping.

[i: 0fee555109]" to drop the trans pan and look for debris/plugged filter or something else obvious" [/i: 0fee555109]

That phrase trips off the tongue so easily doesn't it! Lol

btk

Billythekid
Probably about the least expensive thing you can do

Jack42
Okies, will do that and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

Btk *goes to look out the overalls*

Billythekid
Thanks for that ken, I'm retracting the kick-down part of the statement, on further testing I reckon it's just slipping, just before it's due to change up mostly but occasionally mid gear " range".

It's becoming more pronounced now, if I start the car in the morning I can't expect to move off for a few minutes, the gear s just dont engage at all!

I'm currently waiting on teh Haynes manual from ebay to get to me, once that's here I'll be taking something apart! Lol

btk

Billythekid
Id still drop the pan to be inspect for hard metal and the integrity of the filter, they do plug up over time

Jack42
Well, upon further inspection(noticed the car was bleeding to death in the rain) it seems the transmission is losing fluid.

I jacked her up and tightened up all the nuts on the pan and topped up the fluid. I then went to the gmpartscheap website and ordered a new gasket, filter and lower rad hose(i replaced that earlier with a universal thing).

It's really difficult to get parts in the UK for these vehicles without spending more than the car's worth(recently I spent over £500(about $900) on a lower swing arm!)

Anyhow, once these parts get imported I'll be doing a bit of a transmission servicing. I'm really pleased that it's nothing more serious than a leak.

Thanks for all your advice guys, I'll be bookmarking this site.

Btk

Billythekid