CHEVY POWER DOOR LOCKS NOT WORKING PROPERLY

2000 Chevrolet Astro

2000 Chevy Astro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My van's door locks are not working properly. The driver's side lock/unlock button unlocks both the driver's door and the passenger door. The passenger door lock/unlock button will only unlock the passenger door - the driver's door lock looks like it can almost open (I can see movement int he lock/unlock knob) but it never unlocks. I think a signal is going to the lock but it just can't open it! Also, neither lock/unlock buttons will unlock the rear door anymore.

What is wrong and how do I fix it? Thank you.
Bob_Loblaw

Chances are there is too much resistance in one of the wires to the actuator. If you can, remove the door panel and check for power to the drivers door with both switches. My guess is you will have 12 voltsfrom the driver's door and lower voltage from the passanger's side door. NOTE: This can be caused by a switch or wiring. Check output voltage from both the switch and at the actuator.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your help.

If what you said is the case, then how do I go about fixing it? How would a problem like that start? What about the rear doors - why is the power lock rendered completely useless (it does unlock with the key btw)?

Bob_Loblaw
You need to check how many volts are to the actuator (if any). If it is less than 12 volts, then you need to follow the wiring back to the switch to check for damage or where the power is lost. When found, the wiring will need replaced.