CHEVY GAS GAUGE

1999 Chevrolet Astro

1999 Chevy Astro 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 250000 miles

my gas gauge hasn't been working for over two years and I hate not knowing how much gas is in there and having to go by mileage, I always end up doing it wrong and running out of gas! I cant keep doing this because I have kids and I just cant run out of gas any where with kids in the car. This van also has no reverse or first gear but still drives fine and the engine still sounds great. I can deal with the no reverse ive done it pretty much since ive gotten the car, it went out while driving it though. I just need to fix the gas gauge
Michelle426

The fuel gauge problem can be a couple things. However, usually the float rheostat goes bad and sends a bad signal. The bad part is the float is part of the fuel pump (not cheap) and the fuel tank needs removed to replace it. Please keep in mind, there are other things that could cause it. None of which are cheap. The rheostat sends a signal to the body control module (BCM) and then it sends the signal to the gauge. Either could be bad too.