CHEVY STARTER PROBLEMS. ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

1998 Chevrolet Astro

1998 Chevy Astro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150164 miles

I have a 98 Astro van. It was working fine until I quit driving it for about half a year. It was winter time and I decided to use truck. I took battery out to store it in garage and van was standing outside. Anyway, now, when I want to use it, I have starter problem. First starter (the one I had for long time on the van) started grinding after 8-10 starts, and after some time (5 starts) would not be able to start at all. It would kick in, turn engine half of a round and start grinding or just turning over without pulling drive to the flywheel. I went to autozone and got refub, starter for a little over $100. Again, after 8-10 starts - same thing. Went back to autozone, they replaced this one with another one. Same thing over again, but this time even worse; after me trying to start the van, now it would nor remember mileage (?) Digital mileage display would go off when I start the van, but when it comes back, it would have the mileage that it all started with, 150164. It has been like that all the time. I would start the van, go few miles to work but when I try to start again, miles roll to 150164. Anyway, starter problem didn't go away, I had 5 starters on the van, this last one is been a strong one, its been almost a month since I changed it and it started to grind just now. The question is; what could be causing this? It does not have battery drain, all fuses look good. Is there a little memory battery that died and my mileage is rolling back? Please help. Thanks
Rkrugloff