CHEVY COIL FIRING BUT NO FIRE TO PLUGS

1998 Chevrolet Astro

1998 Chevy Astro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 303000 miles

My Van wouldn't start this morning (3/16/09)
I checked the plug wire from coil going into distributor and it fires (Got Shocked Pretty Good by the way).
When I check fire coming out of distributor to plugs I get nothing. I have been having a miss problem for about a month. I checked it out earlier(when it was running) and found that plugs were firing but when I gave it gas it would stop firing until I gave it more gas then I got more firing. It was like I had a dead spot when I gave it so much gas. It's been missing really bad lately until this morning. No Start.
Could this possibly be the pick up under the rotor?
Any help will be appreciated.
Jhibbard

If its coming out of the coil and not on the wires best check the cap and rotor their job is to distribute the secondary voltages thru its firing sequences to the plugs

Is there anything else that would cause no fire coming from distributor. Sensor. Egr valve something else?

Jhibbard
Could be the distributor pick-up coil and ignition control module

Thanks,
I am going to start with the distributor and rotor. If that doesn't fix problem which do you thing I should do next. Pick Up or Ignition control module?
Theres a $50 difference in the two with the pick up being the less

Jhibbard
Check all of them

How do you check them? Do you mean replace them or is there a way to test them?

Jhibbard
Inspect the cap and rotor and test the pick up and ICM

How do you test the pick up and ICM?

Jhibbard
How do you test the pick up and ICM?[/Quote: 27e238cd3d]

Well I changed my Cap and rotor.
Van starts now but I still have the same problem with it firing. When it idles it runs smooth but when I give it some gas.I take plug wire from distributor just so much that I can tell if its firing or not. Give it gas and no sparks.I let off of gas and fires correctly.I did this with numerous plug wires and same scenario. Fires great until I give it a little gas then fires every now and then.
Had a scan on the van about a week ago and it said something about Random cylinder misfire and EGR. Thats why in previous post I mentioned egr valve. Don't know how egr operates. Guy at auto parts showed me what it was. Its some kind of electrical part in beside tstat gooseneck in front of the motor. Is it possible that I have a plug Problem? The plugs only have about 15000 miles.
I used bosch platinum plugs this time. It calls for A/C Delco.
Got another question.
While van was running I removed the wires from the pick up and ICM. The van kept running and I didn't notice a difference. Is this Normal?
Any other advise appreciated.

Jhibbard
While van was running I removed the wires from the pick up and ICM. I don't think it will run without the pick-up and the ignition control module.

P0300 Random misfire normally caused by vacuum leaks and bad fuel.

Misfires can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel.