CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON / ROUGH IDLE WHEN STOPPED / HARD SHIFTING

2006 Chevrolet HHR • 100,000 miles

My wife and I were riding and we stopped at a stoplight. A rough idle started as we were stopped at the light. The check engine light came on. I took it to Autozone and had codes ran on it. The codes came back misfire and muti misfire. Our car has 100,000 miles on it. Everyone I asked said replace the plugs. I took the car to Pepboys and had the plugs replaced. They said that they reset the system after replacing the plugs. The check engine light was still on and the check tire light was on now. As we pulled out of the lot we noticed that the transmission was shifting very hard. I called back and talked to the service manager and he said that it would take a couple of days for the system to reset itself. After 3 days the check engine light was still on as well as the check tire light. The hard shifting was still there but not as bad. My wife was very worried so I took the battery cble off to see if it would make the lights go out. Well after I did that ; the lights are still on and after we rode about five miles the ruff idle is back. Can you please give me some clue to what is going on?
Bakclem

What service manager? From auto zone? Have your fuel pressure checked first low fp causes misfires. Put air in tire that monitor says is low. Then drive it and see how trans reacts. Poor running engines effect transmissions.